PWdWA's holiday period office hours

PWdWA will be closed from 12:30 pm on Thurdsay 24th December until 9:30 am on Monday 4th January.  

If you are in crisis the following services are open over the holiday break:

Life threatening emergencies:

  • Police/ Ambulance/ Fire – 000

Counselling and support services:

Emergency Relief:

  • Emergency Relief and Food Access Service – 1800 979 777 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
  • WA Connect (Service Directory) – 

Mental Health/ Drug and Alcohol Support Lines:

  • Mental Health Emergency Response Line – 1300 555 788 (Metro), 1800 676 822 (Peel), 1800 552 002 (Rurallink)
  • Alcohol and Drug Support Line – 08 9442 5000 (Metro) or 1800 198 024 (Rural)
  • Parent and Family Drug Support Line – 08 9442 5050 (Metro) or 1800 653 203 (Rural)

To search for local mental health support and advice, and/or alcohol and other drug support and advice search for services here.

Disability Information Helpline

The Disability Information Helpline will be open over the holiday season, however, they will be closed on weekends and for the public holidays.  This means the Helpline will be closed on:

  • Christmas Day - 25 December 2020
  • Boxing Day - 28 December 2020
  • New Year's Day - 1 January 2021

You can contact the Disability Information Helpline on 1800 643 787

NDIS Offices

NDIS offices will be closed from 4.30pm Thursday 24 December 2020 and will re-open on Monday 4 January 2021.
We are aware participants may have questions or need help during the festive season so the NDIS contact centre will continue to operate to assist with urgent enquiries. This can be done by calling 1800 800 110, emailing [email protected] or utilising the chat now function on the NDIS Website.

NDIS Internal Review

NDIS Internal Reviews must be submitted to NDIS within 13 weeks of the decision you wish to have reviewed (e.g. 13 weeks from your plan start date).

If your deadline occurs over our Christmas break we will be unable to provide you with support to complete your application. You cannot request and extension of time for an Internal Review.

You can request an Internal Review yourself over the phone or by completing an application form. Our website has a Toolkit that can help you to write your Internal Review application.

NDIS Appeal at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal

We are aware that people only have 28 days to appeal an Internal Review decision by the NDIA. If your deadline occurs over our Christmas break you can still submit an application yourself.

You can apply online, complete an application form or send the AAT an email. Information about how to apply to the AAT can be found here. You can ask our advocates to follow-up with you after 4 January 2020 to see if you need further help.

If you are unable to complete the application yourself an advocate can help you request an extension of time with the AAT from the 4th January.

For more information about NDIS Internal Reviews and Appeals please look at this page

You can also call Legal Aid WA’s Civil Division on (08) 9261 6356 for some general advice.

You can find more information:

  1. Violence, Abuse and Neglect

    1. Disability Safe Week Resources (Quick Exit available)
    2. Have questions about what violence and abuse is? Learn about Violence and abuse - Book 1 (Quick Exit NOT available) or 1800RESPECT Website: Disability Support Toolkit (Quick Exit available)
    3. Would like to know more about your rights when it comes to violence and abuse? Learn about rights - Book 2 (Quick Exit NOT available) or 1800RESPECT Website: Disability Support Toolkit (Quick Exit available)
    4. Unsure where violence happens or who can do violence? Where violence happens Who can do violence - Book 3 (Quick Exit NOT available) or 1800RESPECT Website: Disability Support Toolkit (Quick Exit available)
    5. If you are experiencing violence, abuse or neglect. You can get help, call 000 if you are in danger now, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732, or chat with 1800RESPECT on
  2. Housing/ Tenancy Issues

    1. Need general information about housing and accommodation? Please visit Consumer Protection Information for all housing types
    2. Have a problem with your rental and not sure what to do? Please have a look at Tenancy WA Fact Sheets on Common Problems
    3. Have a housing/tenancy related legal question? Legal Aid WA Website: Homes and Neighbours
    4. In public housing? Housing Authority WA Tenant Toolbox
    5. Are you a tenant experiencing family violence? WA Commerce Website: Safe Tenancy WA (Quick Exit available)  
    6. Crisis and transitional housing for men
  3. NDIS Internal Reviews and Appeals

    1. NDIS Access- see our website here: PWdWA Website: NDIS Support and Appeals
    2. Want to appeal a decision made by the NDIS? Please read our Internal Review Toolkit
    3. Not happy with the outcome of your Internal review? Please have a look at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal Website: National Disability Insurance Scheme
  4. Disability Support Pension – Appeals

    1. PWdWA Website: Disability Support Pension
    2. Has your payment been cancelled or there has been a decision made by Centrelink that you do not agree with?  Have a look at Service Australia Website: Reviews and Appeal of Centrelink Decisions and Welfare Rights and Advocacy Service: DSP Fact Sheet
    3. Have you already appealed a Centrelink decision and have another decision by an Authorised Review Officer which you still do not agree with? Please read the Administrative Appeals Tribunal: DSP Fact Sheet