What can PWdWA do to help?

PWdWA can help you to understand the process of applying for a Disability Support Pension (DSP) and provide you with information about eligibility. We can send you information about the DSP in your preferred format and help you access guides and a checklist, which have resources to support you to complete your DSP application.

If you are still having difficulty understanding what evidence you might need, we provide a once off appointment with an advocate. PWdWA does not have the capacity to provide ongoing support to help you apply for a DSP.

If you are having issues, accessing information from your medical professionals you can contact Health Consumers Council.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your DSP application, we can provide some support to appeal the decision through an Internal Review. This could include helping you to understand why your application was rejected and what further evidence might be required if you want to appeal the decision.

We refer all assistance for Centrelink appeals through the Administrative Appeals Tribunal to welfare rights specialist services who have the knowledge and skills to assist best with these enquiries.

Links to Information to help you apply for a DSP

Centrelink Information

Centrelink Tables of Assessment

Welfare Rights Advocacy Service DSP Fact Sheet

Links to Information about appealing a Centrelink decision

Centrelink Information

Welfare Rights Advocacy Service Appealing a Centrelink Decision Fact Sheet

If your DSP application has been declined and you intend on appealing the decision PWdWA recommends that you ask Centrelink for a full explanation of their decision in writing. This can be done in person at a Centrelink office or over the phone on 132 717.

Services who can support with Administrative Appeals Tribunal Reviews

Welfare Rights Advocacy Service

Sussex Street Community Legal Service

Fremantle Community Legal Centre

A fact sheet about AAT reviews for a DSP can be found here: Fact Sheet